You must be logged in with your access code to view most materials.
Login or Signup
Grade 8, Celebrating Church, Unit 1 Faith In Action
Additional Outreach Project Ideas
Catholic Social Teaching in This Unit: Care for God's Creation
"We show our respect for the Creator by our stewardship of creation. Care for the earth is not just an Earth Day slogan, it is a requirement of our faith. We are called to protect people and the planet, living our faith in relationship with all of God's creation. This environmental challenge has fundamental moral and ethical dimensions that cannot be ignored."
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, "Seven Key Themes of Catholic Social Teaching"
The Earth Charter
There are many different ways to study and implement the Earth Charter. The resources listed below include the text of the Earth Charter, related documents, and practical ideas for implementing the Earth Charter.
Earth Charter USA
- resources to support the use of the Earth Charter as an educational tool, as a guide to sustainable community development, and as a framework for policies and practices
The Earth Charter Initiative
- link to the Earth Charter Youth Information, a group of young people from across the globe who are committed to the Earth Charter and work to get young people more involved in caring for the earth
- an extensive database of Earth Charter related publications in digital format, including resources for education, reflection, and activities for young people (click on the Resources tab)
- a national program for children that is based on the Earth Charter
- contains fun activities to help implement the Earth Charter's message
For Every Child a Tree
Although the For Every Child a Tree campaign is more than two decades old, its ideas continue through the Tree Project and the many organizations that work to help the environment by caring for trees.
- information and research for people working in urban and community forestry
- online version of the 1990 book, The Simple Act of Planting a Tree, by TreePeople with Andy and Katie Lipkis; see www.treelink.org/books/simpleact/index.htm
The National Arbor Day Foundation
- raises awareness about the need for tree planting by promoting Arbor Day
- downloadable guide titled Urban & Community Forestry: A Practical Guide to Sustainability (2003) by James R. Fazio; see www.arborday.org/programs/ucf
These Web sites are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. Loyola Press neither controls nor endorses such sites, nor have we reviewed or approved any content for subsequent links made from these sites. Loyola Press is not responsible for the legality, accuracy, or inappropriate nature of any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such linked sites. In addition, these sites or services, including their contents and links, may be constantly changing. Loyola Press assumes no responsibility for monitoring the content of these sites.