1. Go outside and describe the weather.
2. Describe your bedroom.
3. Describe a trip to the beach.
4. Describe an early morning in your backyard or in your neighborhood.
5. Describe a favorite holiday celebration.
6. Think of something that you would like to invent. Describe how it looks and what it can do.
|7. Describe something you did on a vacation. |
8. Compare your two favorite desserts.
9. Compare the summer and winter weather where you live.
10. If you could create your perfect sibling, how would you describe him or her?
|Writing Traits for Descriptive Writing |
|Ideas ||Did I focus on one topic? |
|Organization ||Did I create a five-senses chart, an idea web, or notes to help organize my thoughts? Did I establish time order or space order for the description? |
|Voice ||Did I express how I feel about the subject I’m describing? |
|Sentence Fluency ||Did I use a variety of sentences? Did I use natural transitions between sentences? |
|Word Choice ||Did I use literary techniques, such as figures of speech, sensory language, similes, and metaphors? |
|Conventions ||Did I check for mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and capitalization? |
|Presentation ||Did I include a drawing or a photo and an attractive title treatment? |