1. Amelia ran to the tree house in her backyard. As soon as she got up, she took out her telescope to look at the magic bird in her neighbor’s yard.
2. Camille’s grandmother gives her an enchanted jewelry box. The ballerina that spins inside grants Camille a wish.
3. Joe and his little brother Michael explore their uncle’s attic and discover a knight’s helmet. When Michael jokes around and puts it on his head, he sees a dragon flying past the attic window.
4. Stella is planting spring flowers in her yard, when she sees a tiny person with wings hide under a large leaf.
5. Collin finds a special rock at the beach. He brings it home with his other finds, but at night it starts to glow.
6. A princess who lives in a castle on the coast must save a mermaid who visited her once when the princess was a little girl.
|7. You wake up one morning feeling a little strange. As you walk into the kitchen for breakfast, you discover you have a superpower. |
8. While you are helping your dad clean out the basement, you discover an old book. Most of the pages have fallen out. You ask your dad about it, and he says that he’s never seen it before. You look at it together and realize it’s an old diary. One page has part of a poem on it. As you read it aloud, the basement starts to sparkle.
9. A new student joins your class. You invite him to play with you and your friends at recess. You notice something odd about him, but other than being a little clumsy, you can’t quite figure out what it is. After school, as he is packing up his backpack, you notice that his skin is invisible under his shirt sleeve. You can see his face, neck, and hands, but the skin under his shirt isn’t there!
10. Your family is on a camping trip a few hours from your house. During a hike, you discover a cave. Deciding to explore this cave, you all discover hieroglyphics on the ceiling. You and your family are studying them and guessing what they could mean, when suddenly the cave starts to rumble. The entrance to the cave mysteriously shuts.
|Writing Traits for Fantasy Fiction |
|Ideas ||Did I have a story with well-developed characters, an interesting setting, and characteristics of fantasy fiction, such as mythical creatures or royalty? |
|Organization ||Did I create a time line or an outline to organize a pattern of events? Does my story have a beginning that introduces a conflict or goal, a middle that has rising action and a climax, and a conclusion with a resolution? |
|Voice ||Did I use a lively and suspenseful voice? |
|Sentence Fluency ||Did I use a variety of sentence types? Did I use literary techniques, such as flashbacks, foreshadowing, and dialogue? |
|Word Choice ||Did I use creative and original words? |
|Conventions ||Did I check for mistakes in spelling, punctuation, and capitalization? |
|Presentation ||Did I include illustrations? Is my final copy neat and appealing? |