To observe the ways in which we celebrate the season of Advent
The children will be able to identify the ways in which we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus during the Advent season.
- Poster paper
- Plain and colored paper
- Newspapers and magazines (optional)
- Markers and crayons
- Invite the children to share what they know about the season of Advent. Encourage the children to share stories about God's promise to Abraham, the birth of Jesus, or ways we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
- Write their stories and ideas on a large piece of poster paper.
- After the initial discussion, provide each child with a piece of paper, markers, and pencils.
- Ask the children to draw a comic strip that illustrates a special moment in the days leading up to Jesus' birth. Encourage the children to refer to the list on the poster paper for ideas.
- When the children have completed their illustrations, invite volunteers to share their drawings with the group. Encourage the volunteers to share why they chose to portray a particular scene or idea.
- If possible, display their illustrations in the room to act as reminders of how and why we celebrate the season of Advent.
Art/Space Smart, People Smart, Self Smart
Additional materials might be helpful to those who want to do more than draw.