To identify the season of Advent as time to prepare for the celebration of Jesus' birth
The children will be able to demonstrate their preparation for Jesus' coming.
- Large poster paper
- Markers, crayons, pens, and pencils
- Colored paper
- Take a moment to remind the children that Advent is a time when we prepare to welcome Jesus into our hearts.
- Say: Just as Mary prepared to welcome Jesus into her home, we prepare to welcome Jesus into our hearts and lives through prayer.
- Give each child a colored piece of paper and coloring materials. Tell them that they will be creating an Advent banner, showing Jesus that he is welcome in our lives and in our hearts.
- To do this, ask the children to brainstorm a list of ways that they would like to follow Jesus during Advent.
- Next, ask the children to use an idea from the brainstormed list and create a prayer of thanks or a prayer for guidance. Encourage the children to write their prayers on the colored pieces of paper.
- When the children are finished, have them paste their prayers on the large poster paper to create their group's welcome banner. Invite the children to decorate around the prayers in any way they like.
- Hang the banner in the room so that the children can be reminded of their prayers, letting Jesus know that he is welcome in their hearts.
Art/Space Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart