To teach the children that Baptism is the first sacrament we celebrate in which we become members of the Church
The children will understand that during the Rite of Baptism, a person is initiated into the Church.
- Four cups of water
- Four baby dolls
- Tell the children that they are going to role-play the Sacrament of Baptism.
- Split the class into four groups.
- Each group should have a “priest,” a parent, a baby doll and godparents. Some children may be the guests.
- Explain that each group member will be encouraged to play a role.
- Explain to the children that the priest will baptize the baby by pouring water on the baby's head while the parents and godparents look on.
- Encourage the godparents to hold the baby.
- Have the children practice in their small groups and give them an opportunity to share their role-play with the class.
- Conclude by reminding the children that this was a role-play to remind them of how they were initiated into the Church. It was not an actual Baptism.
Be sure to write the different roles on the board, explain them, and assign them to the children before they assemble into their groups.
Arrange ahead of time to have enough dolls and the words of the rite available.