To give children a visual image of belonging to the Church
The children are brought to Baptism by their families and are welcomed into the parish, the diocese, and the world-wide Church.
- Large bowl of water
- Marbles or stones (one per child)
- Fill the bowl about three-quarters full.
- Invite the children to sit in a circle on the floor.
- Place the bowl of water in the center of the circle.
- Demonstrate dropping a marble into the bowl and talk about the ripples of water spreading out.
- Tell the children that Baptism made them members of the Church at many levels and that the ripples represent each level.
- Each ripple illustrates the welcoming of children first to their families, then to the parish, the diocese, and the universal Church.
- Let each child drop a marble into the bowl and have them name the ripples: family name, parish name, diocese, and world-wide Catholic Church.
Body Smart, Nature Smart
The bowl must be wide enough and deep enough to create ripples.
Have a towel on hand to wipe up water splashed out of the bowl.