To investigate how the parish and the community promote the Corporal Works of Mercy
The children will identify ways of treating neighbors properly.
- Parish bulletins
- School newsletters
- Arrange the children in groups of three or four.
- Write on the board the Corporal Works of Mercy: feed the hungry, clothe the naked, bury the dead, shelter the homeless, visit the sick and imprisoend, give alms to the poor
- Distribute the bulletins, newsletters, and newspapers.
- Instruct each group to look through the materials to identify opportunities to carry out the Corporal Works of Mercy.
- If the group members are unable to find any opportunities that pertain to a certain Work of Mercy, instruct them to make up a suitable opportunity.
- Encourage the members of each group to share what they have found.
- Challenge the children to choose an organized activity in which they could participate that treats people according to Jesus' example.
People Smart, Word Smart
Look for materials, newspapers, bulletins, and newsletters that contain opportunities to live out the Corporal Works of Mercy.
Try to form groups of varied abilities.