To help the children prepare for Jesus' coming by doing good deeds for others
The children will do good deeds for others.
For each child:
- One sheet of 9" x 12" red construction paper
- One sheet of 9" x 12" green construction paper
- One sheet of colored star stickers
- List of good deeds
- Ask the children to brainstorm good deeds they can do for others.
- Type up the list of good deeds and make one copy for each child.
- Have the children cut out a Christmas tree from the green construction paper.
- Have them glue the tree onto the red paper.
- Pass out the stickers and list of good deeds.
- Explain to the children that they are to put a star on their tree after they do a good deed for someone else. (Deeds can come from the list or from their own imaginations.)
- During each session for the rest of Advent, ask the children to share any good deeds they may have done, stressing how doing good for others feels to them.
Art/Space Smart, People Smart
Make up a sample to show the children.
If possible have a Christmas tree copied on the green paper for children.
Make the good deeds general, not for specific people. (Example: Set the table for dinner, not set the table for my mom.) This eliminates problems for children whose families are missing a parent or grandparent.