To celebrate the ways in which we prepare for the coming of Jesus
The children will able to explain that Mary said yes when asked by God to be Jesus' mother.
- Colored paper
- Markers, crayons, pens, and pencils
- Invite the children to close their eyes and listen quietly as you read aloud the passage from Luke 1:26-33 in your Bible.
- After the reading, ask the children to share what it means when we say that Mary made possible our celebration of Jesus' birth. (Mary said yes to God so Jesus could be born.)
- Provide the children with colored paper and ask them to fold the paper in half.
- Ask the children to illustrate their own interpretation of Mary's meeting with the angel Gabriel, or Mary preparing for Jesus' arrival. This will be the cover of their cards.
- Then, have the children write a special thank-you note to Mary inside their cards.
- Encourage the children to share their cards with family members at home, and to put them on display with other Christmas decorations that their families may have.
Art/Space Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart