To reach out to children in need by creating Easter baskets for them
The children will demonstrate their love for other children by creating Easter baskets for children in need.
- Recycled Easter baskets
- Bags of wrapped Easter candy
- Easter grass
- Small, stuffed animals (optional)
- Clear or colored cellophane wrap
- Tape or twist ties
- Contact a nearby shelter for families, an organization for abused children (such as SCAN), or associations that help families of those in prison. Offer to create Easter baskets for some of the children with whom they work. Ask for a representative from the organization to speak to the children in your group.
- Ask for donations of used Easter baskets and small, stuffed animals from parishioners.
- Purchase wrapped Easter candy (or ask for donations) and several bags of Easter grass.
- Invite a representative from the organization to meet with the children while they assemble the baskets. Add one stuffed animal to each basket.
- Wrap the baskets completely with the cellophane wrap, and tape or twist tie the wrap in place.
Body Smart, People Smart
Be sure to use only candy that is individually wrapped.
Most stuffed toys can be washed in an automatic washer by putting them in a pillow case first. Remove any ribbons or other trim that might bleed onto the stuffed toys.
If there are children in your group with special needs (physical, visual, hearing, language, or behavioral disabilities), adapt the activity accordingly.