To understand the importance of listening to God in prayer
The children will be able to explain how we can make right decisions in difficult situations by listening to God in prayer.
- Props for role-play
- Construction paper
- Crayons, markers, pens, pencils
- Say to the children: In prayer, Jesus found strength to follow God. We too can find the strength we need to make difficult choices by asking Jesus for help.
- Discuss with the group the ways that we can deal with difficult situations and to whom we can turn for help and why.
- As a group, read the story of Jesus Praying in the Garden from Mark 14:32-42.
- Then gather the children into small groups to discuss the lesson of the story—that, through prayer, Jesus found strength in a difficult time.
- Ask the groups to think of a difficult situation that would require us to act in obedience to God. Invite the groups to role-play a person who is struggling to make the right decision.
- Provide the groups with coloring materials or props that they might need for their presentations.
- When all groups are ready, invite them to perform their difficult situations.
- Spend some time discussing the scenarios presented and how the groups made the right decisions.
Body Smart, People Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart
Be aware that some children might not feel comfortable role-playing in front of others.