To learn how the Holy Spirit leads us to fulfill Jesus' mission
The children will be able to explain how the Holy Spirit leads us to fulfill Jesus' mission.
- Cardboard templates of doves for the children to trace and cut out (smaller than 6-by-6 inches)
- Squares of white construction paper (6-by-6 inches)
- Hole punch
- Ribbon strings
- Invite the children to spend a few moments sharing what they know about the Holy Spirit and Pentecost.
- If necessary, remind the children that the Holy Spirit was sent by God to Jesus' followers on Pentecost. Say: The Holy Spirit gave them the strength and guidance they needed to do God's work.
- When you feel that the children have a good understanding of the subject, turn their attention to the activity.
- Provide each child with two or three white construction-paper squares and a template for tracing and cutting out the dove.
- When the children have completed their doves, punch a hole on the top portion of the dove and thread a long ribbon through it. Tie the ribbon.
- Encourage the children to hang their doves somewhere special to serve as reminders of the Holy Spirit's presence in their lives.
- Say: The Holy Spirit guides you every day. Any time you do something good for others, it is the Holy Spirit inspiring you to do so.
If you feel the children need further explanation of the Holy Spirit's role at Pentecost, remind them that Christianity spread throughout the world because of the Spirit.
Be aware that some children may need more time than others to complete the activity.