To teach the children to create a paper chain of forgiveness
The children will explore how it feels to heal a broken relationship.
- Two 3" x 9" strips of white or light-colored construction paper per child.
- Adhesive bandages with words of forgiveness written on them such as I'm sorry, I apologize, or Please forgive me.
- Instruct the children to draw on one of the strips of paper a picture of a sad face depicting how one feels when he or she has hurt his or her friendship with God. On the other strip, have the children draw a happy face showing how one feels when he or she is forgiven and is a friend of God again.
- Gather the children together.
- Give each child a bandage and ask them to read the words of forgiveness. Tell them that forgiveness is like a bandage that helps relationships heal.
- Help the children to use the adhesive side of the bandage to fasten the link together. Have all the children fasten their links together to create a Forgiveness Chain.
- When the chain is formed, remind the children that you are using the words and actions of forgiveness to help us to work together for the good of all as followers of Christ.
Art/Space Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart
If there are children in your group with special needs (physical, visual, hearing, language, or behavioral disabilities), adapt the activity accordingly.