To motivate the children to do good deeds for others
The children will do good deeds for others.
- Purple and pink construction paper strips (1" x 9")
- Talk about John the Baptist and his call to do good deeds.
- Talk about using Advent to follow the message of John the Baptist.
- Show the children the strips of paper. Tell them for every good deed they do, they can add a purple or pink link to the group's Advent chain.
- Encourage the children to come to each session during Advent and write their good deeds on a paper link and then add it to the chain.
- As the chain grows from week to week, keep it on the prayer table or in view of the group.
- At the last session before Christmas, take your chain of good deeds and put it on the parish Christmas tree or another available space so the children can show it to their families during the Christmas season.
Art/Space Smart, People Smart, Word Smart
Children with special needs should be encouraged to participate. They could pray for others as a good deed.
Encourage children to be active at home and school as they prepare for Jesus' birth.
Ask for permission to add the chain to parish Christmas decorations.
Remind the children that this is not a competition between members of your group. Everyone should be trying to do the best job possible.