To identify the saints as people who lived model lives
The children will explore the ways in which they can live by the saints' examples.
- Books about saints
- Masking tape or nametag stickers
- Large poster paper or chalkboard
- Encourage the children to think of the ways they live as children of God. Remind them that loving God and one another will help them to live as saints.
- With the children's input, create a list of the saints the children have studied and of those they are familiar with from books about saints. Write this list on large poster paper or on the chalkboard.
- With this list, ask the children to identify a specific quality that is unique to each saint. Write these qualities next to their names.
- When the list is complete, write the names of these saints on pieces of tape or sticky nametags.
- Tell the children that you will be sticking a saint's name on each of their backs.
- Have the children ask each other questions to help them guess the name. Remind them that all the names are on the board and that some children may have the same saint.
- When all the children have discovered the names of their saints, form a circle and ask each child to tell the name of his or her saint and that saint's special quality.
Body Smart, People Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart
Make sure the children are familiar with at least five saints. If your group is large, this activity might work better if the children are broken into smaller groups for the initial discussion.