To identify Jesus as a model of how we should forgive those who offend us
The children will be able to illustrate ways that they have learned by Jesus' example to forgive others.
• Construction paper
• Large poster board
• Markers, crayons, pens, pencils
- Say to the children: Holy Week is a sacred part of our year since we set aside this time to remember Jesus' suffering, death, and resurrection.
- Ask the children to spend a few minutes recalling the last week of Jesus' life.
- Invite the children to create a group collage that illustrates times when they have forgiven someone.
- Then provide the children with coloring materials and construction paper.
- Direct the children to illustrate their experiences and then to write a simple prayer to Jesus, thanking him for his great sacrifice or for showing us how to forgive those who have offended us.
- Allow the children to post their illustrations on a large piece of poster board.
- Display the collage somewhere in the room.
- Ask volunteers to share their drawings with the other children.
- Close the activity by saying: Let's be mindful of Jesus' great sacrifice and his example of forgiveness as we reflect on the events of Holy Week.
Art/Space Smart, People Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart
Create your own illustration and simple prayer to use as an example for the children.
Be aware that some children may not feel comfortable having their illustrations displayed.