To help the children to remember that God wants to give them forgiveness and peace in their lives
The children will understand that we receive the peace of forgiveness from God through the Sacrament of Penance.
- Strips of drawing paper cut into thirds lengthwise (3" x 12")
- Markers or pencils
- Scrap paper
- Tell the children that this activity will help them to remember that God wants to give us peace and forgiveness.
- Ask the children how companies try to get people to remember their products. (slogans) Invite the children to share some common slogans for candy, cereals, or other products.
- Reread the adaptation of Psalm 85:9. (I will listen for the word of God. The Lord will give peace to his people, to those who have faith and trust in him.) Ask what God wants to give those who have faith and trust in him. (peace)
- Suggest that if God were going to advertise to his people so they would remember his offer, he might use the saying or slogan Penance Brings Peace. Tell the children that they're going to try to think of more sayings like that one.
- Divide the group into pairs. Give each pair two sentence strips, a pencil or marker, and scrap paper.
- Instruct the pairs to brainstorm for some keywords they may want to include. (forgiveness, peace, faith, trust, reconciliation, confess, absolution)
- Invite the pairs to use scrap paper to jot down some ideas, work with their ideas until they are pleased with two of their slogans, and then write them neatly on the paper strips.
- Conclude with a sharing time and a reminder that even though they won't see God's slogans on TV, they should remember that he wants them to accept his offer of forgiveness and peace.
People Smart, Word Smart
Observe what the children are writing to make sure their slogans are respectful.