To understand Holy Week
The children will be able to explain how Holy Week is our celebration of redemption through the events of the last week of Jesus' life.
- Pencils, markers and paper if needed
- Invite the children to share what they know about the last week of Jesus' life.
- Then ask the children to open their Bibles to Luke 23:1-25, 33-45.
- First, invite volunteers to read aloud the story as the others follow along silently.
- After the reading, gather the children into small groups, and assign each group a portion of the passage to interpret and retell in their own words.
- Once the children understand their assigned passages, ask them to think of a creative way to present their interpretations to the rest of the group.
- Suggest to the children that they create illustrations, dramatic interpretations, or oral reports of their passages.
- Invite the groups to present their interpretations in the order that they occur in Luke.
- Allow some time for the children to share what they have learned about forgiving others.
- Close the activity by saying: Holy Week is a time of prayerful reflection as we recall Jesus' example of forgiveness.
Art/Space Smart, People Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart