To have the children connect God's mercy and forgiveness to the Mass
The children will become familiar with the idea that there are many places in every liturgy to ask and receive God's mercy and forgiveness.
- Outline of a lamb for the children to cut out
- Half sheets of construction paper
- Cotton balls
- Read the prayer Lamb of God, as we pray it at Mass during the Communion Rite.
- Encourage the children to respond Have mercy on us and Grant us peace in the proper places as you read.
- Tell the children that we pray this prayer before we go forward to receive Holy Communion.
- Distribute the lamb outlines to be cut out.
- Direct the children to glue the lambs onto the construction paper.
- Ask each child to think about something he or she would like to share with God that he or she is sorry for doing and to write it on the body of the lamb.
- Instruct the children to cover the words they wrote with cotton balls.
- Remind the children that God's forgiveness is complete and forever.
- Repeat the Lamb of God prayer and invite children to respond.
Body Smart, Word Smart
Coloring books can be a good source of pictures of lambs.
Ask the children to do their writing quietly, without sharing.