To explore the words of Isaiah
The children will be able to explain why the words of Isaiah are seen as finding their fulfillment in Jesus.
- Pre-made newspaper template
- Markers, crayons, pens, and pencils
- Invite the children to retell Isaiah's message of hope for the future.
- After discussing what the children are able to recall from memory, tell them that they will be creating articles for a newspaper, reporting Isaiah's words of hope to the people in Exile.
- Allow the children to work alone or with a partner.
- Provide the children with the newspaper template for their articles.
- Remind the children that newspaper articles have catchy headlines to attract readers' attention.
- When the children are finished, invite volunteers to share their articles with the group.
- Compile their articles and place them somewhere in the room where the children can revisit Isaiah's messages during the season of Advent.
Art/Space Smart, People Smart, Self Smart, Word Smart
Design a newspaper-page layout that the children can fill in with their articles. This can be done by creating a Word document with room for a headline and two or three columns beneath it. Make copies of the template for the children.
For children who may not want to write an article, offer them the chance to retell the story orally or to role-play Isaiah.