To help the children understand and appreciate the need for good leaders and the qualities of a good leader
The children will identify Pope John XXIII as a leader who did much to help the Church and relate this to a personal leader in their own lives.
- Tell the children that in this activity, they will talk about the qualities that made Pope John XXIII a much loved leader and think of someone close to them whom they love as a leader.
- Remind the children that a leader guides people on their way and helps them be the best they can be. Welcome the children's comments about why Pope John XXIII is loved as a Church leader.
- Ask the children to think of someone they know in their own lives who has been a special leader to them.
- Have them close their eyes and think of some ways this person has made them a better person. Is he or she a caring person? Warm and loving? How does he or she encourage them to do their best?
- Invite the children to share their thoughts on the qualities that make good leaders.
- Conclude by reminding the children how lucky we are that God has given us strong leaders in our individual lives and in our Church. Pray together a brief prayer of thanks to God for all of our good Church leaders.
People Smart, Word Smart
Assure the children they don't have to share the name of their special leader if they don't want to.