To explore the story of Mary and Joseph leading up to the birth of Jesus
The children will be able to explain that Jesus was born in a stable and that Advent is a time of waiting.
- Markers, crayons, pens, and pencils
- Revisit with the children the story of Mary and Joseph preparing for Jesus' birth.
- Read aloud the passage from Luke 2:1-7 to the children. Have the children follow along with the reading in their Bibles, or ask them to close their eyes and imagine the story as it's being read.
- After the reading, invite the children to retell the story in their own words.
- Allow the children to present their summaries in any way they like. Suggest the following ideas: book illustrations, oral summaries, role-plays of Mary and Joseph, and so on.
- When the children are prepared to share, gather them into a seated circle and invite them to present their summaries of Mary and Joseph's long wait.
- Say to the children: Mary and Joseph prepared for Jesus' birth. During Advent, help your families prepare to celebrate Jesus' birthday.
Art/Space Smart, Body Smart, People Smart, Self Smart