To help the children identify symbols of Advent in their parish church
The children will recognize changes in their parish church during the Advent season.
- Poster board
- Black marker
- Arrange a time to take the group to church.
- Walk the children around the church looking for symbols of the Advent season like the Advent wreath, purple banners, and any other changes in the church environment.
- Make a list of what you see.
- Back in the room, do an oral review. Write the symbols on a piece of poster board.
- Keep the poster board in view for sessions held during Advent. Remind the children to look for the symbols in Church every Sunday and to notice if they change through the season.
Art/Space Smart, Word Smart
The search should take place at the first session following the first Sunday of Advent.
Take an advance tour on your own to get an idea of what you will find with the children.
Help the children understand that in church, we should be respectful and reverent even during our search.