To recognize that through his Resurrection Jesus gave us the gift of peace
The children will be able to understand that Jesus gave us the gift of peace through his Resurrection.
- Colored paper
- Bibles •Chalkboard
- Invite the children to spend some time sharing the ways they celebrate Easter. Encourage them to mention why Easter is such an important day for Christians.
- When the children are ready, ask them to turn to Luke 24:36-43 in their Bibles.
- Allow the children to follow along silently as you read the story aloud.
- Spend some time discussing the ways Jesus shared the gift of peace with the people who saw him after his Resurrection.
- Invite the children to brainstorm a list of ways they can share Jesus' gift of peace with others. Write their responses on the board.
- Ask the children to choose one idea from the list that they would like to do (for instance, helping a friend who may need comforting).
- As the children think, pass out colored paper and drawing materials.
- Ask the children to fold their papers in half to create a crease down the middle. Ask them to open the paper and write across the top Peace Be with You.
- Instruct the children to illustrate a scene from Luke on the left side of the paper and an illustration of themselves sharing the gift of peace on the right side of the paper.
- The illustration of themselves should be of the idea they've chosen to do.
- When the illustrations are complete, invite the children to share their drawings with the group.
- Display their illustrations around the room to serve as reminders of the peace that Jesus gives us.
- Say: Easter is a very important day, since it's the time we celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus and the peace and healing it brings us.
Art/Space Smart, People Smart, Self Smart