The young people will grow in appreciation of how they can live out the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy.
The young people should be able to explain how Jesus is present to those who suffer today.
- Sheets of paper with a cross or the chi-rho symbol and the phrase, "They'll know I am Christian because . . ." (one per young person)
- Instrumental music CD
- CD player
- Review with the young people the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy.
- Brainstorm with the group concrete ways that young people their age can put them into practice.
- Distribute the sheets of paper and have young people complete the phrase and decorate the page.
- Spiritual Works of Mercy: acts of compassion by which we help our neighbors with their emotional and spiritual needs- instruct, comfort, forgive, advise, console, bear wongs patiently
- Corporal Works of Mercy: kind acts by which we help our nieghbors with their material and physical needs- feed the hungry, clothe the naked, bury the dead, shelter the homeless, visit the sick and the imprisoned, give alms to the poor
Art/Space Smart, Word Smart
Playing instrumental music while the group works helps to create a reflective atmosphere.