To give the children a visual experience demonstrating that when they pray the Sign of the Cross, the motions form the shape of a cross
The children will connect praying the Sign of the Cross with the memory of the cross on which Jesus died.
- Craft sticks (two per child)
- Two or three small bottles of craft paint (bright color or glitter)
- Provide each child with two craft sticks.
- Instruct the children to glue the sticks together in the shape of a cross.
- Pass the paint around to each child. Ask them to repeat the words to the Sign of the Cross while placing a circle of paint (like a jewel) at each tip of their crosses. Top Tip: In the Name of the Father, Bottom Tip: the Son, Right Tip: and the Holy, Left Tip: Spirit. Amen.
- Tell the children that this craft-stick cross should remind them that every time they pray the Sign of the Cross, it is a reminder of the cross Jesus carried for us.
Body Smart, Word Smart
Encourage the children to keep their crosses somewhere visible so they see them when they pray.