To allow the children to create a poem about forgiveness
The children will express their understanding of forgiveness and sin.
- Posters with the word FORGIVENESS
- Before the children arrive, create posters, one for every four or five children, with the word FORGIVENESS written vertically in capital letters. Write the words, is for... next to each letter.
- Tell the children that they are going to work in a group to come up with something called an acrostic. They will use the first letter as a clue to create a phrase about forgiveness. For example, "F is for friends working together." "O is for open arms."
- Arrange the children in groups of four or five and invite a volunteer to record in pencil the phrases or lines that his or her group comes up with.
- Walk around the room and assist anyone in need.
- When finished, share each group's acrostic.
People Smart, Word Smart
Depending on the size of your group, you may want to ask for parent volunteers or older children to be the writers for each group.
If there are children in your group with special needs (physical, visual, hearing, language, or behavioral disabilities), adapt the activity accordingly.