What kinds of books and services does Loyola Press offer?
We focus our publishing efforts in two areas: we provide resources for readers of all ages interested in Ignatian spirituality and prayer, and we support parish ministry leaders and catechists especially in their roles of fostering and passing on a living faith.
What kinds of authors write for Loyola Press?
Loyola Press is looking for fresh, inspiring voices that celebrate and value the traditions, practices, and treasures of our 2,000-year-old faith journey. We seek writers who can speak to the needs and aspirations of our catechists and faith formation ministers. We are always looking for new voices in Ignatian spirituality. Our work is informed by the founding vision of St. Ignatius, who taught us that “finding God in all things is possible,” and we look for partners who see “the world charged with the grandeur of God.”
What types of manuscripts are of interest to Loyola Press?
Here are the two main categories of books we’re looking for.
- Works that help people of all ages experience God in their lives more directly, that introduce the dynamics of the Spiritual Exercises and the Ignatian process of discernment and decision-making, and that open up Scripture as a way of encountering Jesus
- Works that introduce and explain Catholic tradition and the richness of our faith, the significance of our rituals and practices, the ability to speak with others about what we believe, and the invitation to find a place within the Church in which a person’s gifts can thrive
What are some recent titles published by Loyola Press?
An Invitation to Love by Fr. William Barry, SJ
Sharing the Wisdom of Time by Pope Francis and Friends
The Catechist’s Backpack by Joe Paprocki and Julianne Stanz
A Simple, Life-Changing Prayer by Jim Manney
Reimagining the Ignatian Examen by Mark Thibodeaux, SJ
The Adaptive Teacher by Charleen Katra and John Barone
Dear Pope Francis by Pope Francis
Shhh…God Is in the Silence by Fiona Basile
What types of books does Loyola Press not publish?
Poetry, fiction, dissertations, apologetics, and works that are argumentative and/or ideologically driven
How do I interest Loyola Press in my manuscript?
1) Write a clear, compelling, and concise one-page query letter. This can be sent through e-mail or regular mail. Make sure you have a one-sentence description of your book for the subject line if you e-mail your query.
2) In your first paragraph, show us why this particular subject is worthy of a book.
3) State your proposed title and subtitle and indicate word count in your second paragraph.
4) Other issues to address in your query letter.
a) Explain what makes your book different from other similar books in the category. How is your particular take on this subject unique?
b) What problem does your book address?
c) What benefit (in the eyes of the reader) will your book deliver?
d) Why are you the right person to write this particular book? What are your qualifications and expertise in the subject? Do you have a platform—that is, a speaking schedule or other means—already in place to market the book once it’s published?
Please, do not send us a completed manuscript until we reach out to you. A query letter is all we need to start discussing your project. We will ask you for any other materials that we would like to see.
When can I expect a reply from Loyola Press?
Due to the high number of submissions we receive every month, please allow 4-6 weeks for us to get back to you.
What is the most common reason for Loyola Press rejecting a query?
By far, the most common reason we turn down queries is that they simply are not what we’re looking for.
Will Loyola Press return my materials?
Most queries come via e-mail today. But if you send us something unsolicited through courier service or the Post Office, and you want it back, please include an SASE or prepaid mailer for the return.
How can I query Loyola Press about my submission?
You can e-mail us at email@example.com.
Or send your query to:
Executive Editor/Trade Acquisitions
3441 North Ashland Avenue
Chicago, IL 60657